Thursday, August 5, 2010

Cooking Garden

by Alicia Kehrig
August 5, 2010

 Herb Garden Growing Next 
to the Boathouse

I have embraced the concept of local foods.  This year I planted my first real herb garden - in the ground - not a few pots of herbs on the front steps.  

It was surprisingly easy.  After prepping the soil with a sprinkling of Osmocote, I just planted Greek oregano, garlic chives, thyme, sage, basil and rosemary plants that I purchased at various outlets - Home Depot, Whole Foods, and various garden centers.  A month later, voila - the garden grew. I love just being able to walk out of the house and cut a few herbs to use in my chosen recipes.

The garden is so prolific that I bring them home and share them with my friend Tacy. I've discovered that I can use a food dehydrator to dry them in one hour instead of leaving them strewn across the dining room table during the week. (However, I've learned it takes a lot of fresh thyme to make even a tablespoon of dried.)

I now love to garden. Next year, a vegetable garden!!

Next post...using herbs to make Spa Water.





No comments:

Post a Comment