Friday, June 29, 2012

Thrifty Serving Pieces

Since we entertain a lot, I keep this basket stocked with plastic utensils and napkins, that I can pull out and put on the table:




This is nothing but a cheap basket from a thrift store that I spray painted white.  (It's been well used - probably needs a new coat of spray paint.)


Last weekend my neighbor Rox had a party with a yellow color scheme.  I thought the yellow plastic utensils would look cute in my basket.  Then I realized she had yellow plates and yellow napkins too.  I was inspired.


After putting it out to the universe that I needed both a square and round basket, look what I found at the Delaware Goodwill for $.75 each - 


The perfect sizes too!
Never underestimate the power of spray paint; it can do wonders.
Look how my 4th of July napkins and plates fit perfectly in the baskets. Now I have a complete set of white serving pieces.
Just a note - I was spray painting before spray painting was cool.  About 100 years ago, when I was a single gal, I had a big 4th of July party in the backyard of my little condo.  I made like 25 of these festive wicker paper plate holders.
I try to get them out every year for Memorial Day and 4th of July. 

I encourage you to try the super easy decorative craft for your next holiday or party. With a can a spray paint, you can coordinate your pieces with any color scheme.  How fun would these be for a tailgate party painted in the colors of your favorite team?

No comments:

Post a Comment